Friday, July 29, 2011

non advice

Wow, I must be in a feisty mood tonight. Kelly's Korner is asking for parent advice and while I will not venture to give any I will say this:
I know parenting is a hot button issue and almost a hundred people responded with good advice. I enjoyed reading many of the tips. But, let me just say this... GRACE. I have never been more thankful for His grace and His Spirit that speaks to me than when I became a parent. This parenting thing is tough.

My advice is to listen to that Voice, His Spirit, and respond accordingly. Don't decide what you will and won't do as a parent. Don't say I will never spank or I will never do time out or I will never let my kids eat eat chips and salsa for dinner (that last one may have happened tonight) because God may lead you to do that and you may miss it because you decided that you would never...
God gave you your child(ren) because He equipped YOU to be their parent.

A few years ago we had a speaker at our Women's Retreat at church who told a great story that I was recently reminded of by a great friend. The speaker put a dry sponge in a little bit of water and laid a dry baby sponge on top. She also had a dry big sponge and laid a dry baby sponge on that. As she talked her sponges just sat. At the end she showed us that the sponge that was placed in a little water was wet and so was her baby sponge. Her analogy is that our children will soak up some of the Spirit by being attached to us if we are soaking up His Spirit. I loved that!

P.S. I don't think God led me to let my kid eat chips and salsa for dinner that was just great parenting.

2 comments:

That's Life said...

Hey some nights Chips and salsa sound good!Beautifully put.

LNel said...

Loved what you wrote. God's grace is sufficient for us and our children.