Monday, August 1, 2011

I am a cheerleader

The only reason I share this is that this blog is for us to look back and remember as the kids grow. Part of that journey is what Stephen and I learn as parents in the process. I am not trying to get all "preachy", this is for me to remember as I look back.

I was reading Phil 4:8 this morning.
"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."
We had a great sermon yesterday on contentment and so I was thinking about how this verse ties to that sermon and then God brought my family, namely Drew and Charis, to mind.

As a parent I am keenly aware of my children's weaknesses because I spend all day trying to teach them and train them to obey and be kind. Sadly, I probably am more aware of their struggles than my own. I pray about their character all the time. I know God loves them more than I do and is in control so that gives me peace. This verse today hit me though. I need to dwell on their God given strengths and be an encourager. I am already their biggest fan but, I want them to look in my face and see love, acceptance, and joy. I will continue to discipline and train but, I trust God with them and to speak to them. I will dwell on this...

and not this...

1 comment:

LNel said...

Court! It is like God is working on the same stuff with you and me. I have really been focusing on Grace and Contentment, which is what you seem to be doing as well. That is neat. Miss you. Enjoyed seeing your husband last week! He's a keeper!