Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Boring mom stuff

We are taking a fabulous Bible study called Growing Kids God's Way. We had to miss last week because we had a puker but, they talked about structure in the home. I know some people thrive on it and some don't. The teacher in me loves structure and my little Type A child, Charis, loves it as well. Drew, bless him, just lives in the moment and for caca(outside) and Dada. I don't think he even knows we went to Colorado for 3 days. I want to remember what we do when I look back one day so I am putting it below. I know some people start all this in the first year of their child's life but, I was still surviving so this schedule has only been introduced in the last 6 months.

Since I came home from the hospital with two little mouths to feed, bottoms to wipe, and babies to get to sleep we had to have a routine. It worked so well for us. They have always done very well eating at the same time and we have only had minor hiccups in getting them to nap at the same time. As they get older our routine has changed.

My kids have an "independent" playtime in the morning. I use quotes because at this time it is independent of me but they are twins and play in the same room. My goal is to add an afternoon time that is truly independent with them in separate rooms. Being a twin is strange to me. I guess because I am only child but the fact they have NEVER been alone is weird to me. I know they are fine either way but, I want them to have truly independent play time because I want them to learn how to be alone and not depend on the other without even knowing they are. We do blanket time after nap and they enjoy it. Charis loves it because she is type A and feels very good about herself after she accomplishes her blanket time. We do some structured play stuff too. Drew is fine but, his language is a tad behind. He is more physical than verbal. So we have started working on some things together. I am not worried about him but, I am home so I thought we might as well work on it.

I would love to know what activities, games, etc other moms do. We do the typical dry pasta, playdough, water stuff but, I have heard of some pretty creative moms. If you have a fun tip please pass it on. I am just doing some verses with them that I did with my kindergarteners but I would love any recommendations on Bible memory products or cards. I heard there is an ABC verse kit. Does anyone know about that? Okay, that is all the riveting stuff I had to talk about. I am such a party animal, huh?!

4 comments:

LNel said...

Thanks for sharing. I love hearing about what other moms are doing. Have you heard of icanteachmychild.com
It is a fabulous blog about teaching our kids. She made some great ABC scripture cards that you can print out. I haven't yet because my printer is broken and I have temporarily lost my mind, but any year now, I will print those. Ben loves to sing, and we listen to "Hide them in your heart" cd everyday in the car, and it has been great for teaching scripture. I am still working on all of this, but thought I would share these ideas.

Dina said...

What is blanket time? Why are you holding out on me? And I don't know about the "typical" stuff either! Poor Katie!

Courtney Osborne said...

Thanks, Laura! I will check that out fo sho. Dina, whatev, Katie is one lucky girl. By typical I mean stuff I grab out of the pantry that won't kill them and they can play with or stuff we played with when we were little. Blanket time is like the playyard with no yard. I put some toys on a blanket and they play on their own blanket. I started because I heard at Sonshine they napped on a mat and I was scared my kids would not stay in one place without bars, but they are smarted than I thought.

alisha said...

I'm using an old program called "well versed kids" with Sawyer...we had it as kids, I think. Anyway, I don't even know if they sell it anymore, and it is definitely for I'd say kids a little older than yours...but Abeka also sells a good little memory verse pack with pictures, and we used that with sawyer when he was 4 (but some of it would've been fine for younger).

That's not very creative...ha, so I'm not much help! :)